Thursday, July 31, 2008

The first day of the rest of it...

Well, they talked me into it.  I disclaim any responsibility for this adventure...  Today was the first day after my last day of work at the company where I'd worked for almost 17 years.  I had a grand send-off, a party, gifts, lunches, heart-warming emails, hugs, tears, the works.   I am not sure how this new chapter of my life will go -- smoothly or full of unanticipated challenges (maybe both) -- but it's something that I'll embrace with all the gusto I can muster.  The "gang" wants (apparently) to live vicariously -- see what "retirement" (I hate that word) is all about.  My spouse (hereinafter referred to, as most bloggers do, as "DH") gives me three weeks before I go stark raving bonkers and seek out a new job...  We'll see.  I am thinking of the next three to six months as my own personal sabbatical program.  (The company I was at used to have a sabbatical program, and I actually took my first one; the program was cancelled before I could take my second and my third, so I'm now indulging in self-help in regard to those "missing" holidays.)  I'm told that I'll be surprised how busy I'll be.  We shall see.  Today, I managed to sleep until 8AM, then slowly got a few things done, went and got a pedicure, did grocery shopping, prepared dinner for tonight's "sip-and-sew" get-together (much sipping, no sewing), watched DH hit tennis balls, and now am typing my VERY FIRST blog entry.  I don't think I can stand all this excitement.  More tomorrow.  Let me know what you think of this.  Ideas, suggestions, critiques, all welcome.  Cheers!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome to this new phase of your life, and to the wonderful world of blogs. One piece of advice - make yourself write something every day. It doesn't really matter whether or not you think the content is "good enough" or not.

The most important thing is to create the habit of regular posting. Otherwise, your new blog will just fade away (like happens with so many well-intentioned projects).

Wearinbeads said...

Thanks for dinner and the champaigne was a lovely touch. Our frienship will continue into this portion of your journey.