Friday, January 9, 2009

Happy Birthday to Meeeee.....

Yep, it's today... I am 61 years old, which sounds like some kind of very bad joke as far as I'm concerned... I mean, I am really only 17 years old -- well, maybe 18 -- but not more! Really! I don't know who that lady is in the mirror in the morning, jeez! She used to look an awful like my mother (and alarmingly like my grandmother), but after that recent surgery, not so much... (I am nothing if not au courant with a bit of nip-and-tuck...)

So, what have I done to celebrate? Well, yesterday I bought myself flowers -- beautiful purple iris and a clutch of bright yellow tulips -- they look gorgeous on my dining table. And, this morning my son asked me out to breakfast. I paid, of course, but it's the thought that counts. I got lovely emails from some friends, and had a yummy lunch with a buddy with whom I worked at The Company (and I miss her dearly -- it was great to see her). Later this afternoon, the sip-and-sew ladies will meet me for a drink and some munchies at a local Cal-Mex place (great margaritas there), and that will be great. And, finally, the soon-to-be-ex spouse asked if he could take me to dinner. Hmmm... I weakened and said fine. Not a good idea, but he got me in a weak moment. (One too many Cosmos, I guess.) But, after dinner, I shall send him back to his new home, so he can contemplate the cost of his decision. I spent the morning boxing up many of his clothes (I folded them neatly) and put together a bag of hangers for him. (I am a true queen.) I shall go in a minute and box some more of his clothes. Very therapeutic. (And why am I not letting him do this? Because I want it done now.) I think he would, if left to his own devices, keep half (or more) of his stuff here, so he's neither moved out nor truly living here. He'd also like to be a "friend with privileges", I think (only because he thinks it would make me "feel better"), but I'm thinking not so much...

I think I will knit a bit, too... Talk about wasting time on a gorgeous winter afternoon... And maybe do some more housecleaning. Yep, I know how to boogie down on MY birthday!

(Let the record reflect it's also Joan Baez's birthday... and Richard Nixon's! What a constellation...)

Hope all of you are doing well...

Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy, happy birthday my wonderful friend!!!

2009, while off to a rough start, promises much upside for you. No really, it does.

Thinking 'bout you much.