Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day!

So, today is Earth Day... What should be a totally non-controversial day, you'd think... After all, everyone lives on the earth, and on this issue, we surely will all sink or swim together!

What have I done for the cause? I now use cloth shopping bags when I go to the market -- not good at remembering for other errands, but I'm trying. I keep them all on the back seat of my car, so at least they're available and handy when I drive around. I saw a pattern in my newest knitting magazine for crocheted market bags, that fold up into two little crocheted circle pieces (which are also part of the bag), and you can stuff the bag in your purse, since it's so small. That sounds like a good idea, since it would address the "oops I'm here without a 'green' bag" issue...

We also have swapped out a lot of our incandescent light bulbs in our house for CFLs, and haven't seen any degradation in light. We do have a floor lamp in the big living room that is a halogen one, and that gives off a ton of light, but also a lot of heat. I haven't found a decent floor lamp using or capable of using CFLs that is as good... A particular issue for me, since my night-time eyesight is not as good as it used to be, and I like to be able to read/knit/whatever at night.

What else... We recycle everything possible, although living in the area/country/time we're in, it's not as easy as it might be. We try and consolidate our errands. We are careful about water usage. We don't use our A/C at all in the house, but rely on fans. (Of course, the A/C really doesn't work very well, so why burn the energy at all...)

Yep, we are living saints... Ha! I wish we would/could do more, but we do what we can.

I hope all of you are being so terribly green today... I'm off to find something else to do to support Earth Day... But, it's not yet 5:00PM here, so it won't involve drinking any wine!

Cheers!

No comments: