Thursday, September 11, 2008

So, Where the Heck Am I???

We got back from Viet Nam at about 9:00PM this evening, after an INTERMINABLE flight from Saigon. We flew Singapore Airlines, so at least the service was good, and those flight attendants -- scary! I finally figured out that, gorgeous as they all are (men and women), the ladies all have the very same makeup! Yep, same eye shadow color, same lipstick, same absolutely flawless complexion... I don't think they're air-brushed, but wow... And the beautiful uniforms they wear... Lovely... But, we flew first from Saigon down to Singapore, then Singapore to Hong Kong, and then Hong Kong to San Francisco.

We had about four hours between flights in Singapore, so the spousal unit and I took a cab into town, and belted down a couple of Singapore Slings at the Long Bar at the Raffles Hotel. I am sorry to report that the drinks were not good -- if there was any liquor in them, I'm a Kansas grandma! And they cost about US$16 each! But, the Long Bar is steeped in history, the peanuts were crunchy and fresh, and what the heck, now I can say that I had a Singapore Sling at Raffles.

We only had about an hour between flights in Hong Kong, and that was barely enough to wend our way through security and then back on the plane. We had relatively good seats (two together, and there were only two in our row -- Row 61, almost at the back of the plane, and on a 747 that's quite a ways back!), even though they were in Economy. (And folks who know me know that I do not normally take kindly to flying steerage, but I'm running low on miles in my frequent flyer account, and want to save them for when I really need or want them.) (And, this whole trip was on redeemed miles anyway, so what the heck.) I did watch three movies, which I also don't normally do, and then tried to sleep a bit. Unfortunately, with only two seats to spread out on, I was pretty much contorted in a pretzel-like configuration. Luckily, the plane was not full (particularly in the back of the plane), so the spouse and I agreed that one of us would camp out in an empty row (five seats across) and take the first half of the flight to sleep, and then we'd switch. He is one of those people who can sleep on planes. And, he slept through some pretty spectacular turbulence. I, on the other hand, was attempting to eat dinner without having my wine fly all over the place, and then I actually did sleep, off and on, for a few hours. When I got the stretch-out space, I think I slept a bit, but I am not good about sleeping on planes.

Anyway, we made it home, dumped out all the crapola from this trip, quickly ran two loads of laundry, and we're now re-packing for our trip to the UK. We leave tomorrow morning, and get into London at 10:00AM, local time, on Friday. I'm looking forward to that trip. It's been a while since I was in England, and it should be lovely.

But, for now, I'm fading fast, and am going to try and attempt to sleep. Up early tomorrow, pack, and zip off to the airport. Again, if Internet access is cooperative, I'll post from the UK...

Hope all of you are doing well... I can't believe it's September already! Where did the year go???

Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it home and safe travels for this next leg, my jet setting friend!