Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Day Two

So, what happened to Day One? Well, it didn't get blogged about... I got on the road on Monday around 11:00AM, which was later than I wanted, but way too much to do -- threw too much stuff in the car, including two suitcases, and figured I'd sort it out later. It was a long haul from Cupertino until I hit I-5, including going across Route 152... Driving was actually pretty easy, although punctuated with bouts of crying. (Silly girl...) I stayed in Barstow, California last night, at a pretty nice Best Western. Had dinner at the local Carrow's, and spied the Starbucks...

This morning, had a quick bite at the hotel, hit Starbucks, and got on the road by 8:15AM. I actually slept pretty well last night, which was amazing, all things considered. (Thank god for Ambien CR...) I really enjoyed driving through the high desert... Just acres and acres of sky and scrub and not much else. The colors are beautiful -- muted and harmonious. The one thing that struck me was how many freight trains I saw, everywhere along the way! Got gas in Needles, had lunch in Kingman, and have stopped in Flagstaff, Arizona for the night. I opted to get off the road now (about 4:30 local time), rather than pushing on to Gallup, New Mexico. I have some work to do (applying for a position on the local junior college board of trustees), and I figured I would get to work on it now, before I get totally dingy.

I am still somewhat morose about this whole road trip, and feeling irritated at being, in essence, forced to be the one who left and is wandering around. I know it's absolutely positively the right thing for me to do, but that doesn't mean I'll do it gracefully. I'm not good at that sort of thing (doing things gracefully, that is) (particularly things that are good for me). Perhaps, at the end of it, I'll feel differently about it. Maybe.

Hope all of you are doing well!

2 comments:

Wearinbeads said...

don't drive when it is dark. there is far too much to see. Oaks around Flagstaff are magnificant.

Anonymous said...

I'm excited that tomorrow you will be in my home town. Give my sweet, fair New Mexico a hello for me.

Tell the gorgeous flat bottomed clouds that I yearn for them daily.

Remind the red clay mesas that they are never far from my mind.

And give a yoga style "sun salute" to the Sandia mountains. They protected me for years and I've never felt right without them.

Be safe. Have fun. And come home safely.

Oh and, take pictures.