Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Best Laid Plans...

So, remember how I was going to spend a week or more wandering through New Mexico? Well, it would seem that the fates had something else in mind for me. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I am back in Cupertino! That is a hell of a lot of driving in a very short length of time. Good thing I like driving, but this was ridiculous. It was a 10-hour day for me today, and that's just about more than I've ever spent driving in my life! I did make it to Albuquerque, and toured around Old Town in the cold and the rain on Thanksgiving Day, but that was about it. I am irritated beyond imagining that I didn't make it to Santa Fe, or really have any down time at all. I did read a couple of novels, and got a fair amount of sewing done on my Hawaiian quilting project (a table runner), and did some knitting, and a lot of thinking, but...

Anyway, all is well, or as well as it can be, under the circumstances. I did enjoy driving through the high desert. It was amazing to me that the high desert of California, and that in Arizona and New Mexico, are so wildly different! The high desert in California is very much volcanic -- like the ground was gunched together, and the mountains were formed. In Arizona and New Mexico, you can plainly see that, once upon a long, long time ago, some pretty impressive water or ice flows went through there, and carved away at the rocks, leaving these incredible formations... I love the striations in the rock, and the gorgeous colors. It was very very soothing... Driving through Arizona, you cross these washes (dry creek beds). One of my favorites was Holy Moses Wash. There's also a "lllavar wash"... I can't figure out if that's an upper-case "I" (eye) followed by two lower-case "ls" (ells), or what. My recollection is that "llavar", in Spanish, means "to wash". Too confusing for me, makes my head hurt.

As I was driving along, there was an announcement that came on the radio, recruiting subjects for a "medical study" on General Anxiety Disorder. I listened to the so-called symptoms, and frankly it just sounded like I used to feel every day when I was working at The Company! Who knew? I would have checked myself in somewhere, had I known I had a "disorder"!!!

Well, I am working on my zen attitude. Going with the flow. Breathing. Waiting to see what tomorrow holds. Ought to be a laugh riot. Or not.

Cheers!

No comments: