Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Still Breathing...

Yes, the Princess and I are in Paris, and we're dragging. She arrived Sunday morning, but her suitcase did not. Apparently, it was still in Washington, D.C. Rats! So, after futzing around at the airport, putting in a claim, etc., etc., she finally arrived via airport bus at the Gare de Lyon over two hours after she would otherwise have arrived. Poor baby -- she was really really tired and upset when she got off that bus... I felt so bad! I bought her a brioche and a latte at the station, and then we jumped on the Metro and went to the flat. She pronounced it acceptable.

Our first outing was to the Musée D'Orsay, one of my favorite places in Paris. We walked through the barren Tuileries Gardens, over the Seine, and hit the museum. Unfortunately, I am in the process of coming down with The Crud, and she was both exhausted and jet-lagged, so perhaps it wasn't the highlight of her trip. But, I'm glad we saw it, and it was glorious as always. Then, we went back to the flat, rested up a bit, and then hit a local bistro (literally down the block) for dinner. It was a C+ meal at best; very disappointing.

Yesterday, we basically laid around all day, waiting for her bag to be delivered. The promised time frame was any time from 11:00AM to 3:30PM. Which really irritated both of us -- we're not in a hotel, and there's no old concierge lurking around who could take possession of the bag. So, we were stuck. We tried to call the airline's baggage desk all day to get an update, but those clever folks just don't answer! And, we found they work from 0630 to 1430 and that's it! What's up with that? I finally dragged her out for a coffee at around 4:00PM, to a local dive. It did not make her feel comfortable... Then, back to the flat to rest a bit more. Finally, at around 7:30PM, we decided to hit the pizzeria across the street for dinner (I simply did not feel well enough to cook); but, literally as we were putting our coats on, the luggage delivery service called, and voila! Her bag arrived! So, all is well in the universe. The pizza was about a "B", and that was that. We went back to the flat, and watched a couple of episodes of "The Tudors" (an HBO series). I was underwhelmed. Beautiful costumes, thin on plot and detail. But watching Sam Neill as Cardinal Wolsey was a hoot! He'll always be Reilly, Ace of Spies, to me! Then, to sleep. Apparently, I snored badly last night... Humpf... Well, I am quite congested and feel like dog meat, so I'm not surprised.

We swore that today we would be more active, and we were! First thing this morning, we walked to the local pharmacy where I picked up some migrane meds I had asked them to get for me. (Thank you, French health care system!) Then, off to the Luxembourg Gardens, one of my very favorite places in Paris. Then, to the Galleries Lafayette... The prices were jaw-dropping! I don't remember things being so expensive there, but then again I don't remember a lot. I bought a hat (as I had lost my other one), and spritzed myself with lovely perfumes. I may purchase one before I go home. Or not. We then hit the lingerie department, and it was astonishing. I don't think I have the chutzpah to wear some of that stuff. To say nothing of the fact that it was hideously over-priced (at least to me). So, pretty much a wash-out on the shopping front thus far.

We're off to have coffee with a professional colleague of mine later. He and I were on opposite sides of a monstrous agreement a few years ago, and we developed a deep appreciation of and respect for each other. We've never met in person, so this should be interesting. Then, I promised I'd cook here in the flat tonight, as we're both just wiped out. Then, early to bed. Not sure what tomorrow's activity is.

Please do check out my flickr.com photostream for the latest additions to the photo record of this trip!

I hope all of you are keeping warm and dry, wherever you are.

A bientot!

No comments: