Thursday, October 23, 2008

And, speaking of reality...

I'm sorry I had not read this story before I finished my last post -- it's a doozy!!!

It seems that, somewhere in Japan, a woman was arrested in connection with her "killing" the avatar of her on-line "husband", after the husband's avatar laid an unexpected on-line divorce on the woman's on-line avatar. (Very Kurosawa-like -- here's the URL to the story, where I saw it, on cnn.com: http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/ptech/10/23/avatar.murder.japan.ap/index.html

Talk about the convergence of reality and real-life. (Of course, she wasn't arrested on a murder rap, but still...) The game is called "Maple Story". I'm sorry, but this is really too creepy. I mean, seriously creepy.

As Dave Barry says, I'm not making this up.

I need a glass of wine, and to sit and contemplate this. A lot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Geez, I also JUST read this story. It's weird. And kind of funny. But then I'm prone to an oddball sense of humor!