Friday, October 3, 2008

Well, Shoot...

So, I'm having some elective surgery on the 13th (a little over a week from now), and I love my doctor. However, he has some very strict views on what a patient needs to do, pre- and post-surgery, to be a true "partner" in the process... Including (god help me) abstaining from caffeine and alcohol for two weeks before and two weeks after surgery. I never thought of myself as an addict, but going cold turkey this past week -- no morning tea, decaf/nonfat lattes ("why bothers"), and no wine or Cosmos -- yikes! This has been eye opening!

I mean, I had to watch the Vice President Debate last night sans wine! I had the sip-and-sew ladies over to the house for the event, and the three of them (one was absent) finished off a bottle and a half (well, maybe a bottle and two-thirds) of wine -- I drank fizzy water with a shot of bitters in it (a "mocktail")... Just not the same...

And, not having my bracing cuppa in the morning is even more irritating. Who knew I was so . . . attached . . . to my lovely Scottish high-octane tea bags? Hmmm.... I am drinking, instead, some lovely verbena herbal tea that I bought in Paris on a trip there a couple of years ago... with a bit of clover honey in it... Doesn't compare at all to my witches' brew, but it's not bad. I've also taken to "doing coffee" with the spouse in the early afternoons, having a small "why bother" at Peet's... (For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, in some circles a nonfat, decaf coffee drink is called a "why bother"... Hey, I think it's funny...)

I'm taking extra Vitamin C, extra multi-vitamin pills, and being more religious about taking my calcium supplements. I am eschewing fats (for the most part), and trying to eat raw when I can. (Lenore, thanks so much for the very yummy tomatoes last night... I could live on those!) However, tonight, my husband called from work, let me know he'd be done far earlier than he originally thought, and said, hey, let's meet at the Elephant Bar for our "usual" Friday night drink-and-munchies episode. (He has a foo-foo tropical drink, I have a Cosmo, we both have an appetizer, and finish up by splitting a chocolate lava cake with vanilla ice cream.) I totally blame him for the fact that I fell off the wagon, and had a Cosmo... Shoot... I could kick myself... Should have had a lemonade... Oh, well, back on the straight and narrow tomorrow. I swear. And, if it takes me a bit longer than it ought to, to recover from the surgery, I will at least know that the Cosmo tonight was way good...

(Well, hey, at least I posted tonight...)

Hope you all have wonderful things planned for the weekend!

No comments: