Thursday, October 16, 2008

Day Three...

... after surgery, and if I do say so myself (knock wood), the healing appears to be going quite well. My face is less swollen (particularly around the eyes), although the color is not to be believed. I think I look a lot like a very ripe papaya -- quite yellow, with tinges of purple/green... Lovely, quite a tropical look... I actually ran a few errands today, and no one screamed or fainted or made any untoward remarks, so I guess all is fine. (Either that or folks were shocked silly, which I truly doubt.)

And, no pain pills at all today! Hoo-hah! Really, the physical side-effects of those narcotics are not all that pleasant. Even being a child of the Sixties, and not having any moral issues (well, not too many, anyway) regarding drugs, I still prefer, all things considered, not to have too many of them floating around in my body. Particularly over the past year or so, when I've made a very concerted effort to eat healthily (less processed foods, more fruits and veggies, and lots of liquid)(water), I think it's made a big difference, now that I'm healing from what could have been quite a traumatic physical assault on my body. I was chatting with a buddy today, and she said she remembered when her aunt had her face lift, she stayed overnight in the hospital, and then stayed in bed for a week, whining and moaning. Well, obviously techniques have improved over the years, and I'm not even factoring in the aunt's possible predeliction for drama-queen antics, but still I think I'm doing quite well.

And, no, I won't be posting any photos to back up my claims. Just use your imagination. Or ask one of the two buddies who visited me yesterday. If you're a close friend, you'll know who they are!

Anyway, I've been watching/listening to all the post-debate punditry that's going on, and I'm not detecting that there's been a huge groundswell of anyone out there in the electorate changing their minds about who to vote for as a result of the campaigning and/or the debates. I personally find it very distressing that this country seems to be so very divided, and that the degree of bitterness and rancor (and general bad behavior) is getting higher and higher. It seems to me that the ideas of sacrifice, and sharing the burden, and civic duty, and a general lack of selfishness seem to be sorely lacking across this country. Or, maybe I'm just cynical and jaundiced. (Well, yes, jaundiced but that's because of the bruising... No, silly, that's not the context. Sorry, bad joke. Couldn't help myself.) But, seriously, I think this country is going to heck in a handbasket, driven by an excess of "me first" attitude that I just do not understand. Or, could it be that I'm just getting to be old(er) and (more) crochety?

Well, regardless, all in all, life is good. The weather is lovely, the house is relatively clean, there's food in the cupboard, there are comfy pillows on the bed, and it's foot-rubbing night. So, how can I complain?

I wish all of you the very best of everything, and may you each sleep well tonight.

No comments: