Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Convention (Part 2)

Wow, this is an HISTORIC night...  Who would ever have thought, way back in the early 1960s, that we would see someone like Barack Obama (that is, an African American man) making a speech as a candidate for President of the United States?  (And, please note, had things turned out differently, we'd be seeing a woman making the speech... either way, one heck of a milestone!)  Kind of makes my arms fill with goosebumps...  Regardless of what your political persuasion is, or which party and candidate you support, I think you will admit this is something to witness and to talk to your children (or grandchildren) about years from now.  Really really something.  I can hardly wait to see the Republican Convention, and what they say and do at that little clambake.

Sorry (well, sort of) for the rant in yesterday's post.  I do get whipped up about the state of things in the US these days.  I even thought of a few more points I didn't make, but should have:

I am deeply worried about what seems to me the growing "balkanization" of the populace, into groups that are identified by ethnic origin, and the assumption (on many people's part) that all of the people in that group think alike, and that they will vote based on their ethnic-centric issues (as pumped out by the media).  I grew up in Post WWII New York City, and by golly there were folks from every country and planet living there, and even though we were proud of our respective ethnic backgrounds, we were, first and foremost, Americans.  I don't hear a lot of that any more.  

I think I addressed this yesterday, but I am baffled about where the money needed to repair our nation's infrastructure and to invest in the technology and development needed to transition us to the next century, if the mantra continues to be "no new taxes"...  Who the heck is going to give the money to do all the needed work -- the Infrastructure Bunny?  I realize that we don't, here in the US, have the castle/peasants/Vikings heritage (i.e., the government as the protector of the populace in the face of external threats), but jeez louise!!!  Guys, come on...  There is absolutely nothing inherently evil about taxes!  Those rabble-rousers who go on and on about "the government" taking "your money"... well, yes, it is "your" money -- you earned it (or whatever).  But, you and each of you and each of us has an obligation to kick in a portion of your money into the communal "pot", so the government (which, by the way, is us, not some alien race come to earth to lord it over us) can do those things (build roads, defend the country, provide certain benefits and services on a national basis) which we cannot do individually.  And do not even get me started on letting private companies do it...  There are some good things about that paradigm, but more often than not, it just doesn't work -- very little accountability is often the result.  (I could make some snarky remarks about Blackwater and other private companies operating in Iraq, but that would be beneath me.)

OK, enough of that.  (Oh, heck, one more thing -- what about the development in Texas, where teachers can now carry concealed weapons?  My husband, who used to teach in the public schools, did twitch a bit when he read that...)

Ah, we live in interesting times.  Speaking of which, I really do miss KKH, my best friend from law school, godmother to my children, my best woman at my wedding, dear friend, role model, and general stand-up gal...  There have been so many times recently when I wish I had her here to smack me upside the head, feed me Barry's tea, harangue me about my politics, and let me whimper for at least an hour at a time.  I really really miss her.  When I was at my daughter's flat recently, it occurred to me that she (my daughter) somehow inherited her godmother's sense of style, and had made her apartment a warm, eclectic and inviting home.  (I might point out that my daughter also has a serious thing for Barry's tea... nature or nurture?)

Other than that, same old, same old...  Tonight was foot-rub night; the spousal unit and I have found a Chinese foot rubbing spa in the neighborhood; $20 for an hour of bliss...  We go every Thursday night...  I got hooked on this practice on a business trip to Singapore some years ago, and came home raving about it.  The husband just gave me "the look" and refused to try it... until HE went on a business trip to Singapore (with a stop-over in Hong Kong) and tried it, reluctantly.  He's a bigger fan of it now than I am!  (Well, almost...  I've been known to get it done daily when I'm working in Hong Kong or China...)  Anyway, that's always a treat for us.

The other highlight of the day was the latest issue of "Threads" magazine coming in the mail.  As you may have picked up, I love to sew.  This magazine always gets my creative juices flowing.  It's a bit pricey, and I probably should not indulge in it since I'm no longer working full-time, but heck I'd rather give up my daily S*bucks (which I have) than give up "Threads"...  So, that being said, I'll say au revoir for now, and go read it.  Again.  For the third time.

Have a wonderful evening, y'all...

No comments: