Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Random Items

Yeah, so, I ate way too much pizza for lunch, and I can't think straight... Yep, that's my story... Got together with some of the folks from The Company, including one of us who had left months ago... Both she and I apparently look very relaxed, according to the colleagues who are still laboring in the vineyard...  I suppose I am more relaxed than I was, simply because I'm not running around in circles, trying to cram 20 hours of work and chores and household/family things into 10 hours...  Hmmmm...  I think, frankly, my body and my mind thinks I'm just on vacation, and haven't really grasped, yet, the fact that I won't be going back to the office in a few days...


However, I am getting back to thinking that I actually have some time -- finally -- to sew.  I've been fondling fabric and patterns, thinking about what to sew first.  As noted in an earlier post, I do have some Hawaiian print-type fabrics, to sew up some goodies for our trip to Maui next March.  (See the photos...)  I really do love the flamingo print... very subtle, no?  No, you're right, it's not.  But that's OK.

I really enjoy sewing.  I enjoy all parts of the process, whether it's for apparel or for household projects like quilts, napkins, whatever.  I like thinking up projects, choosing patterns (or inspirations), thinking about the "feel" of the finished item, searching for fabric, fondling the fabric, washing or otherwise preparing the fabric, cutting out the piece (which, I must admit, is my least favorite part) (always has been), and then doing the actual sewing and construction.  I am a very precise and careful sewer, having learned some hard lessons along the way about the virtues of organization of one's tools and supplies, and of reading the directions FIRST (yeah, really)... and then, if it makes sense, deviating from them, or tossing them out totally.  And, a cardinal rule: never, ever cut when you're tired (i.e., if it's after 9PM -- that's my witching hour) or have had a glass or three of wine; likewise, do not use your serger at those times.  You can always un-sew but I have never, ever been able to un-cut...  Ask me how I came to this rule...  

I also have bought some lovely linen and other fabric pieces lately, for various semi-work type garments, and am looking forward to diving into those projects.  I really do need to dragoon one of my sewing buddies to help me with updated measurements, as my body is lurching all over the place in terms of where my weight wants to be, and the alarmingly changeable contours of my midriff!

And, while I was up in Oregon last week, hanging out with the daughter, I bought a few paperback books that looked interesting.  I haven't had any sustained trash-novel-reading time in forever, and I think I should take advantage of this down time to relax and get into reading again.  We did cancel our subscription to the Sunday edition of The New York Times (grumble grumble), as a cost-cutting measure (yeah, I know we needed to do it), but luckily our local paper carries the NYT Sunday crossword puzzle one week later, so I can get my puzzle fix.  I love to do the Sunday puzzle.  I blame this on my mother, who would do it in pen.  Blast her! I'm good but I'm not that good...

Went and hit the tennis ball with DH earlier today.  We were both "in the zone" -- the balls hit the sweet spot on the racquet, most of them went where they should have gone, and all was good.  It can be a very zen activity, I think.  And to think I was so against it for so many years... Oh, well, I guess I wasn't ready, mentally, to get engaged.  (Skiing?  Maybe...  I'm still not sure of any sport that involves me going down snow-covered hills at great speeds...)  

Well, time to go and deal with dinner.  Some steaks are on the little barbeque on the deck, the corn on the cob is ready to go into the water, the apple turnovers are ready to be baked, and I've got a very nice chilled white wine here at my elbow, helping me slide into the lovely cool evening...  I love California...

Cheers!







No comments: